Sunday, February 8, 2009

3rd Retightening

I had my hair re-tightened this weekend. There was not as much slippage and unraveling this time around. I asked my consultant if my hair is beginning to lock at all. She said no, not yet. I was a little disappointed to hear this, but I guess my journey of patience continues.

My hair seems to be growing really fast, especially at the sides. One measure of how much my hair has grown is that I no longer need to use perm rods when I wash my hair. I have now moved up to the small magnetic rollers. Once I set it up, the curls last until the next wash, even though I put water in my hair everyday. I definitely could not do that when my hair was relaxed.

The top is still quite thin, and re-tightenings just seem to emphasize the thinness, but I know that after a few days it will look better. The re-tightenings also emphasize the centre part, which I absolutley cannot stand. Grrr! I try creative roller setting to hide it. It sort of works I guess, especially after the second or third wash, when my hair fills out and gets a bit fuzzy.

One really nice thing that has happened to me since I got my sisterlocks, is that my confidence in how my hair looks has really increased dramatically. It is really amazing. I get up in the mornings and wet my hands, fluff up my locks and I go. No more fussing about my hair. I still do have the occasional bad hair day, but even when it is bad, it is really nothing to worry about. My mom who really hated my new look when I got the locks installed, now smiles when she touches my hair.

9 comments:

still waters said...

Looking really good caribsun, enjoy this stage because it can go by quickly. congrats on your 3rd retightening. Keep us posted on mum once the length gets going :)

one love still

Nubian1 said...

Am getting my 3rd retightening this friday the 13th.
Oh my goodness the centre part.....i hate it so much that when very kindly tells me i look odd, a bit like a NERD. Thanks i tell him.....i love you too....'you know i was only joking' he'll reply. Kids eh?

Titus 2 Thandi said...

LOL about your mum!

JUST Euphoria said...

looks good and trust before long your going to wonder where those parts went, aint it great to be able to add water and go, & I am glad your mom is coming around maybe she will be going ole natural

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks Nice, very Nice~

I'm not logged-in much, but I get to see your blog sometimes.

Take Care~

Anonymous said...

Your locks continue to look great, and I love the glasses - really cute and chic. :)

Angel Locs said...

Looking Marv as all ways, glad to hear that your mom is now smiling when she touches your lovely locs.

Patience will be your gift on this journey, as I to have had to learn to be patient I want faster growth which I have had tremendous growth as you have but I want it down my back now (at least to my shoulders)....lol

Be Patient we will get there full locked and flowing.

brunsli said...

Your hair really looks cute. But, I must confess, I am distracted by your totally cool glasses!

With funky (and purple!) glasses like those, you exude confidence.

The newbie, awkward stage will be over soon, but in the meantime your curls are definitely working well.

Felicia said...

Your locks are absolutely beautiful!!! You are an inspiration to me as you share your lock journey with all of us.