Friday, October 17, 2008

The Legacy to my Girls



One of the reasons that helped to shape my decision to go with sisterlocks is that I have two daughters, aged 9 and 7, who emulate everything that I do, and like sponges they soak up everything around them. I want them to recognize that there are options for lovely hairstyles, which do not involve chemically altering their hair.

They are heavily influenced by what they see on television. And the television programming that the watch is mostly American. I became painfully aware some time ago that they longed to have long, straight hair like the little girls that they see on Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel.

I have been on a campaign to constantly reinforce the fact that their long, thick, Afro-Caribbean hair is very beautiful. I make a big deal about getting their hair done up in two-stranded twists. Jodie is the lady who does their hair. She comes to the house and the girls get comfortable with a computer game or a TV show or whatever strikes their fancy. Under Jodie’s care, their hair has really flourished. They get many compliments on their hair, and Jodie has gotten many referrals from me to other moms with little girls. I think my babies are now beginning to realize that they really do have beautiful hair, just as God gave them.

My 9 year old has beautiful red-brown hair, which glistens in the sunlight. She has never really enjoyed her hair colour because it is different from the average hair colour. You know how kids are; they never want to look any different from their friends. I have to keep on reminding her that many women spend lots of money at the salon to get that lovely colour.

In the same vein, my 7 year old has exotic hazel coloured eyes. She tells me that she doesn’t like her eyes. I know the reason that she says this is that her eyes make her different, and they draw attention to her, which makes her uncomfortable.

My girls are both aware that I am growing my hair so that I can get sisterlocks done. And they are excited. They observe me as I search the internet, looking at pictures and getting as much information as possible. In fact, my 9 year old asked me if she can get sisterlocks when she is older. Now, if that isn’t progress I don’t know what is.

We as women, regardless of colour or ethnic background, tend to be so very dissatisfied with our hair. Those of us with straight hair want curls, those of us with curls want straight hair. Those of us with thin hair, put in extensions to make it thicker, and those with thick hair……well you get the picture.

I am encouraged and so grateful that there is a sisterhood that encourages all of us to embrace our natural selves. We need to ensure that we are not passing any of the old negative values about our appearance on to our kids.

More Anon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughters are absolutely beautiful. The one with hazel eyes will never need contacts. Pity she doesn't realise what some women go through to get peepers like hers, lol. In time, they'll both understand, and look back, and laugh.

I applaud the way you've inculcated black pride in them. So many of our children and young people are lacking this, to their detriment in several cases.

And I love that your (pre) SL influence has already begun. Yaaaay you!

Lolydoly said...

Your journey along the hair road seems highly allegorical. It brings sharply to mind the growing realization I have had about the components of one's inner person, and how important self image is. Our history as forced migrants and our current circumstances in western societies so often combine to present us with facets of our lives that are fractured by the conflicting views which come from western culture and our west African cultural retentions. When we find ourselves living out facets of our lives through the western lens we do experience persistent discomfort...and when we do manage to adopt a west African based perspective, it can at times be cathartic. To thine own self be true...Congratulations, good luck; you seem to be enjoying life's pleasures that come with psychological freedom.

Angel Locs said...

I also went through the I want long hair like the girls/women I see on TV with my youngest daughter, Like you I had to explain how important it is to embrace your natural beauty/cultural from your, hair, skin, and eyes to everything about your character.

I am happy that your daughters are watching as you browse the internet looking at SL blogs etc.

They are lovely little girls, my youngest daughter is part jamaican and she has her dad's features. I just wished that I had not permed her hair...because it was so thick not kinky just thick.

I hope that I will be able to inspire my oldest daughter not to chemically treat my grand-daughters hair.

Keep your angels embrace with their culture, which I am sure you will. Wish I could come over for some ackee and salt fish....LOL

The Real Nique said...

You do have gorgeous daughters and I applaud you for bringing the up the way you are.

I know what you mean about the little kids. My son's eyes used to be a bright gray and now they are hazel. He didn't like the attention and by 4 he told me he was tired of people telling him about his eyes. lol. But he has learned to accept them.

Your hair looks great. By the way, YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED. Go to my page to see the instructions.