Patience is one of those virtues that we have to relearn time and time again throughout the course of life, I believe. I am now going through that learning process again, as I am anxiously waiting for my hair to grow long enough to get my sisterlocks installed.
It is somewhat ironic that when I was maintaining my teeny weeny afro, my hair seemed to grow like a weed and I had to go to the barber every three or four weeks to get it trimmed. Now that I really want it to grow, it seems that it is not growing fast enough. Here is a picture showing my length now.It is a bit longer than it appears, because I really pat it down to make it neater.
I patiently twist my hair into Chiney Bumps every night. Chiney Bumps is the Jamaican name for what everyone else calls Bantu Knots or Nubian Knots. When I first came across these fancy names, I almost fell off my chair laughing. Dat is wat dem a call Chiney Bump now? Hilarious. Anyway, this is part of my nightly routine now, as I nurture my hair. The thinking behind this, is that the twisting will help to preserve the moisture, while giving my hair a little bit of curl. I have heard many experts saying that you should sleep with a silk scarf on your head, or sleep on a satin pillow case, but I have always found it hard to sleep with a head scarf. I usually find the scarf on the floor in the morning, or worse, covering my nose in the middle of the night. Sometimes I will wrap my pillow in a silk scarf, since yours truly does not own a satin pillow case, nor am I ever likely to own one.
And so my lesson in patience continues........
2 comments:
By the time you're ready to get your SLs installed, you'll definitely have more than enough length to start.
I had to laugh too, when I heard the fancy names for Chiney Bumps. The last time I wore those was as a child. My mummy used to do my hair like that after a shampoo. I hated them back then, 'cause I thought I looked weird with them. But they did make my hair look curly and nice when pulled out. And now, they're all the rage.
Patience is a great learning experience when you want something badly, I took hair vitamins my hair took on a growth spurt. However I was able to convence my SL consultant to lock my hair at 2 inches, she trusted that I would follow her every instruction and I have. I will celebrate my first week this coming monday.
My hair is really curly, and short and I love my SL. I have been free styling and loving it.
Hang in there, I will be keep a watch on you.
Post a Comment